Thursday, July 7, 2011

Destination: Italy

After more than 15 hours of travel and nearly breaking my ankle scurrying through the Atlanta Airport, I made it safely into Venice. I like direct flights. I fear not making my connection or potentially arriving without my bags, although I haven't had this happen yet. I thought today was going to be a new beginning. We arrived late into Atlanta and sat on the tarmac for nearly 15 minutes waiting for an open gate. Almost 15 minutes later, I ran off the plane. It's just my luck that my connection was at the last gate in the last terminal reached only via tram. I was worried, but only slightly. Planning this trip was flawless the month and half prior to today. I was sure things wouldn't go awry now. With my fingers crossed, I made it. I only twisted my ankle slightly on the way.

My seat mate was an actor from Los Angeles. Like me, he was taking an extended trip to explore, and simply slow down from the hustle of voice recording and performing. We talked a lot about life, upbringings, experiences and the way people think. And, I learned a little about acting and celebrity life. It was interesting to say the least.

The airline offered two hot meals - dinner about an hour and a half into the flight and breakfast an hour before landing. To my surprise, they weren't that bad, but airline food none the less. I fell asleep shortly after "dinner." I woke up from an epic six-hour nap - the dead-to-the-world type of slumber - just in time for Delta's version of an egg mcmuffin and gorgeous views of the Italian Alps.


I was so distracted by the mountains and glimpses of The Floating City that I forgot we were landing. An extremely shaky arrival in Las Vegas years ago made landing a very anxious experience for me. My uneasiness has faded over the years, but I think I finally found the perfect cocktail for a tear-free arrival - amazing views, overwhelming excitement, and nine and a half hours on plane. I was ready to high-tail it out of there.



No comments:

Post a Comment