Friday, August 12, 2011

Gifts from a Friend

Shortly after arriving in Italy, I met a girl named Jenny while shopping in Sacile. She works at a boutique a block away.

"Posso aiutarla?" she asks me.
"I'm sorry, I don't understand."

In perfect English she says, "Can I help you find something or are you just looking?"

I spent nearly an hour in her store trying on clothes and talking with her about Italy and America. She was as intrigued by my country as I was with hers. Within a few minutes, we had plans for coffee and a trip to the beach.

Seeing her became a routine part of my mornings. Her store was located next to my favorite cafe. Eager for me to meet her friends, she invited me to their favorite nightclub for a drink. But first, we were to have dinner at her house. How could I resist? Her family welcomed me like their own. Her mother spoke no English, but immediately hugged me, kissed both cheeks, and ushered me into her home. For dinner we had steak, a caprese salad, and coffee. Jenny translated as her parents did got to know me.

Her and her family live in a big brick house in Conegliano, about 15 minutes from Sacile. It was built more than a hundred years ago. Maybe even two. Their property is huge, and full corn fields standing too tall for me to touch and acres of grapevines in their private vineyard. My two favorite fruits, peaches and nectarines, graciously hung from trees lining the driveway.

About two weeks after meeting Jenny's parents, she brought me a bag of goodies. Bags of red and green grapes, a bushel of plums and nectarines, and homemade marmalade her mother prepared special for me (nectarine flavored, mmmmmm!).

Everything was delicious! I haven't had marmalade in almost 12 years, but still knew that it doesn't all taste this good.


Up next at Jenny's, a traditional Italian lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment